Saturday 14 April 2012

Super Duper Double Peanut Butter Cookies

Want to know something that may shock you?

My husband doesn't really like baked goods. He's just not really much of a fan. I had no idea of this when we were first dating... So when I tried to win him over with my cookies that everyone told me were incredible, I expected he'd have a bite, and his eyes would roll up into his head a moment, and that he'd sort of shudder in ecstasy then immediately ask me to marry him.

If I remember correctly, the first time he tried one of my chocolate chip cookies, waaaay back in high school, his reaction was something along the lines of:

"Hm. That's pretty good," and that was it. He... he didn't even ask for a second one. I was stunned. So! My mom and I conspired to have him over for dinner. Mom slaved for hours over an amazing beef stew. Jon sat down, and proceeded to sift through his portion until he had removed every last bit of onion. Then he sort of grudgingly ate what was on his plate.

He wasn't impressed with my cookies and he didn't like my mother's best stew. I was sure it was over. But, somehow, 12 years later, here we are, still together and going strong.

And I finally found a cookie that makes his eyes roll back in his head. So let's get to that!

My microwave is just in the background there, like, 'Hey, how you doing? I'm just so glad to be a part of the blog today. Okay, you can ignore me now. Thanks.'

Start with 1/4 cup each of butter and shortening and a half cup of your favorite peanut butter, and get 'em all friendly-like in your mixing bowl.


Yeah, that looks real friendly.


Chuck in a half cup each of white sugar and brown sugar (I used golden brown sugar here, but this recipe would be amazing with dark brown sugar, I bet! I'll have to try that next time.)



Once your sugars are all creamed in, throw in one large egg, mix it all up.


Pile your flour on top with some baking soda, baking powder and salt, and once that's mixed up you're almost done...


Except we haven't made it 'double' yet. Throw in a half package of Chipits Reese peanut butter chips. Heck, throw in as much as you like, I'm not going to judge.

Now this dough has to hang out in your fridge for at least an hour, because at this stage it is simply way too soft to work with. I know, it's hard, but you can do this.


Once the dough is chilled and firmed up a bit, scoop it out onto your baking pan (use a teaspoon if you're not insane enough to spend $12 on a stainless steel spring-loaded 1-inch scoop, of course.)


Gently press down on the tops of the cookies to flatten them just a smidge before baking. When making PB cookies without chips, I usually use a fork for this to make a pretty pattern, but the chips kind of obliterate the pattern anyway, I've found, so might as well use your nice clean digits instead.


These babies are ready to bake. Chuck 'em in the oven at 375 for about 10 minutes. Ovens vary of course, so keep an eye on them. As soon as they start to go golden-brown a bit around the edges they are done. They'll still be soft and marvelously chewy in the middle, and that is exactly what you want, believe me.


What's this? There was a tiny bit of semi-sweet chocolate chips leftover in the cupboard from a previous baking project? Aw, heck, throw those into the last of the dough, it's a party.

Oh man, look at these babies.


You really, really want to make someone's head explode with peanut buttery pleasure? Spread some peanut butter frosting on the back of one of these and press it to another to make the most astounding pirate cookie in the universe.

Oh my gosh what did I do to the lighting in this picture? I am not good with cameras.

For me, these ones with the peanut butter and chocolate chips in them were my favorite, because I'm a bit of a chocolate freak. And in my books, nothing goes better that peanut butter and chocolate. I didn't get to eat too many of the other kind, my husband kind of found them.

If you want to tempt your own loved ones, here's the recipe, adapted from one of my Great Grandma's ancient cookbooks:

Super-Duper Double Peanut Butter Cookies

1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (half that if using salted butter)
1 cup peanut butter chips

Combine fats and peanut butter, add sugars and egg, beat with wooden spoon until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix until soft dough forms. Add peanut butter chips (and any other add-ins that sound good. Peanuts would be great, come to think of it.) 

Chill dough for at least one hour, covered, in the fridge. Place 1-inch balls of dough on baking sheet, flatten a little with fork or fingers, and bake for around 10 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Cool.

Ingest. Roll eyes in ecstasy.

Until next time!

2 comments:

  1. The ingredients list does not say how much peanut butter to use. Or am I just missing it! That's what I get with my ADD:}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgive my late reply, I'd lost access to this account for a while - but! It should be 1/2 cup of peanut butter. Thank you so much for catching my error, I'll fix the post ASAP!

      Delete